Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election day

Today was election day. And for the first time I'm disappointed in myself for not voting. I don't have a legitimate reason. It was simply because I didn't get my act together soon enough and change my information from Utah to California so I couldn't register to vote here.
I've always felt a big responsibility to vote. I've always believed that our freedom and right to vote is what thousands of Americans have suffered and given their lives for. But tonight I find myself doubting.
I can't help but feel how divided this country has become. And I've been thinking of what the majority of the people's vote really means. Is it enough to give the majority of the people what they want? As far as I can tell, the majority have never had a problem with getting what they want. It's the little guy, the minority that gets neglected and forgotten. The minority of the people that aren't heard.
I live in a state with 55 democratic electoral votes. 55! And I'm suppose to believe that my 1 vote is going to make a difference? No. Let's call it what it really is. 1 vote doesn't make a difference, only the majority can make a difference in this country.
By thinking this, some might say I'm not patriotic. I don't feel I'm unpatriotic. If anything, the fact I'm thinking about the election, making an unbiased and objective opinion on my own, helps me care more about this country. It makes me genuinely sad to see something I believed in, something I hoped for, not come to pass. And that's normal. It's normal to feel disappointed. And that's all.
It's not going to be the end of the world. The economy may fail. The middle class may become extinct. Good doctors and health providers may disappear. But tomorrow I'm going to wake up at 7AM, go running, then go to class like always, and continue on with my life. Living the best I can. Striving to achieve the best I can. And preparing the best life that I can for the family I'll have. And for now, that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment