Monday, March 28, 2011

reflecting on new happenings

It's been a while since I've sat down and spat out one of my random blogs and I decided it's about time I catch everyone up on what's been going on in the Bartlett home.

Aside from the mounds of homework and tests (thank goodness Midterm is over) and being sick with a minor, yet very annoying, head cold...we have managed to add more to our plate. Yes, apparently us Bartlett's like to keep busy.

Remember 6 months ago when Matt and I moved into our new apartment? We were so glad to be in a new apartment with real air conditioning! I remember unpacking and thinking I could really see us living in this apartment for a long time...well, until I finished school that is.

Unfortunately, we're at it again.

Moving I mean.

About a month or so ago Matt and I started talking about our plans. I realized how much schooling I really had left and we both realized we needed a change. Originally we wanted to stay in Utah until I was done with school and then leave after. It's just cleaner and easier, not having to worry about transferring credits and all that. Except then we talked to my counselor who told us that my school actually transfers credits directly with Santa Barbara City College.

And a door was opened. We could move to Santa Barbara, I would continue going to school and working on my degree, and even be able to graduate from UVU! It sounded pretty good to us. We were both really excited and knew we just needed to pray about it.

And after about a month of praying and looking for apartments, we're feeling like moving to Santa Barbara really is the best place for us to be right now. It's interesting how prayers work...1 year ago Matt and I were engaged and planned to move to Santa Barbara right after the wedding. Literally, the week after the honeymoon pack up and move but we kept getting this feeling that it just wasn't the right time...

Sure enough a week and half later my little brother Jesse passed suddenly and unexpectedly. I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't so close to home when I got the news. I would have regretted not being there with my parents at the hospital, not crying and holding all my siblings as we realized he was really gone. I believe Heavenly Father knew I needed my family and they needed me..and so we stayed. And I have cherished the last 9 months of being close with them.

I really do love my family with all my heart. My heart burns just thinking of each of them and how they've influenced me. Some people think 8 children is too many (yes, I'm number 5 of 8 kids) and they think we'd all get lost in the craziness. Well let me tell you...my life would be drastically sadder and duller with any one of them missing. Jesse is a testament of that. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. Some days it makes me so happy because I know I'll get to see him again. And other days are harder because it doesn't feel soon enough.

But now here I am. I've almost been married to Mr. Matthew for a year! That is just insane to me. It feels like just yesterday I went to bed thinking "Tomorrow I marry my Mr. Darcy." (Yeah, all while growing up I referred to my dream guy and future hubby as Mr. Darcy - if you haven't seen Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth, get on it!) I look back and remember so many wonderful and fun times. Yes, I know we've had our struggles...what newly weds don't. But I literally (LITERALLY people, not figuratively) cannot remember one bad memory or fight we've had. Which has been a huge lesson and blessing.

So we're starting this new chapter in our life. We're moving to a new town, with new people, and new adventures waiting for us! I am so excited! And feel so humbled to really live in this life. Not just go day to day, but breathe the fresh air, see life with a different and precious view.

Because this life is, after all, so so precious.


1 comment:

  1. That's so fun! I'm jealous you get to get out of Utah! Not that I hate it, but I'm ready to be back on a coast. :)

    ReplyDelete