Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Today's Tom Sawye"


We officially have a new member of our family!!




His name is Sawyer and yes it was inspired from the TV series Lost. He's an Australian Shepherd-mix. At this point we don't know what he's mixed with but the vet said as he gets older his traits should be more prominent. So for now, like a baby, he's just full of that puppy breath and cuteness!



See what I mean?!
We pretty much love him!

It's been really interesting having him so far. I now understand why people say getting a dog is a good step to prepare for a baby. That being said...I have NO IDEA how I'm ever going to be able to handle a baby. Haha. The first few days Matt and I both seriously doubted whether we were ready to have a dog, even though before we both really wanted one. But we decided we'd keep him for at least a week and then decide if we were ready for the challenge. I'm so glad we did =) Because once we got to know him and he got to know us...we couldn't have gotten luckier!


10 Reasons why Sawyer is awesome!

1. He's incredibly SMART!! You know how some dogs have that glazed-blank look on their face? Well Sawyer does this little head tilt that shows he's really thinking and taking in what's going on around him. You can see the wheels turning in his head. I mean he already know's "sit." And not to bite. Also, he almost has "stay" and "come" down.

2. He's potty trained! How awesome is that?! He has a litter box that he goes poop and pee in...well, that is, he goes pee in it when we get him there in time. Let it suffice, both Matt and I have been peed on! Haha. He's never gone poop anywhere but his little box but for some reason, I don't know if it's his tiny legs and the fact he doesn't lift his leg or squat like normal dogs, but it makes it very difficult to read when he needs to go...but even still we're getting it down. We know he eliminates about every 30 minutes. Talk about tiny bladder.

But that brings me to #3...

3. He knows he's only allowed on the tile in the kitchen and in the bathrooms. Yeah! To prevent any tinkle mistakes on the carpet we keep him on the tile (a lot easier to clean up.) But he knows if we're in the kitchen and walk into the living room (which is carpet) he stops right where the tile meets the carpet. And if he ever starts to get tempted we just have to say his name and he goes hopping back. Haha. And yes, I mean HOPPING.

4. He HOPS!! It's the cutest thing I've ever seen. He hops just about as much as he runs.

5. He goes crazy when he gets treats. It's like caffeine or a drug to him! It use to make training difficult but we've got it down now and use all his energy for good.

6. He dances. He's so mild and sweet, I can totally bounce and swing him around and move his paws in these funny dance moves and he let's me =) In fact, sometimes I swear he's the one bouncing to the beats.

7. He has a thing for skunks. His first night with us we put a stuffed animal (the skunk from Bambi) in his pen. It was the only thing that comforted him and he snuggled with it that whole night. A few days later I found him humping it's guts out...for an hour!!

8. He's super tough. This puppy is BARELY 4.1 pounds and he's fearless. He's jumped from a 4 foot platform onto the hard tile and didn't even make a noise. I think I was more scared than he was.

9. He has speckled paws that I've fallen absolutely in love with!

10. He RARELY barks. I'm pretty sure I've only heard him bark once and that was when I was getting ready one morning. He saw his reflection in the trash can and when he pounced at it, and his reflection pounced back, it surprised him and he started barking at it. Haha. It was cute.

Isn't he a doll?? We heart him.

1 comment:

  1. He's adorable Glenna! Potty trained already, huh? You'll have your children trained by 18 months----just watch!

    ReplyDelete